Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Guess What?

It's NATIONAL INFERTILITY AWARENESS WEEK!

I know, don't get too excited, you thought I was going to have some exciting news or something. It might not be the not be the most exciting news, but I do feel like it is important to me and especially right now at the stage where we are at. I found this website RESOLVE and it helps promote awareness about infertility. This week they have asked bloggers to help spread the word by busting some infertility myths.

Before I do that, I would just like to say that infertility is something that really isn't talked about much. Many people like to keep hush, hush about it. Obviously I'm not one of them. I have found it to be so helpful and freeing to talk openly about what I'm going through. Often times people feel so alone going through something like this, when really they are not alone at all. To have a support system is key to helping you through a difficult time (or at least for myself). I now will forever understand others who have walked down this journey and hope to always have a voice of support and awareness for this awful, miserable thing we call INfertility.

MYTH #1: Just Relax and you will get pregnant.
I wish...
I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have actually heard those words. They are all meant well, but unfortunately that is just not how it works. Over 90% of people diagnosed with infertility results from a physical problem, such as PCOS (aka what i was diagnosed with), endometriosis, blocked tubes, bad sperm, etc. All that to say, RELAXING has NOTHING to do with it. So please think twice before you tell an infertile that, because it really is the last thing they want to hear. It is also pretty much impossible when that is on the forefront of your mind and you are having to count days, and go to several scheduled doctors appointments. Although I'm sure some relaxing techniques couldn't hurt and maybe it has worked for some, but that will not help us.

The best way to help an infertile out, is to not try and FIX us or the problem at hand, just tell them you love them, you are sorry and pray for them while they go through this not-so-fun journey.

To find out more information or read more myths, you can go to:
http://www.resolve.org/infertility101
or
http://www.resolve.org/takecharge


Thanks for listening!

5 comments:

Becky said...

I've always hated this one! A friend (who is so very fertile - 4 kids in 5 years, while on birth control for much of that time) used to say this to me all the time. People are just so insensitive sometimes... Thanks for sharing your myth!

ty said...

Amen. I think that so many people just don't know what to say, so they blurt out the first thing that comes to mind.

Elizabeth said...

Great post!! You are definitely right about that myth! If it was just that easy.... ;). Thanks for sharing!!

Elizabeth said...

Great post!! Your exactly right about that myth...if only it was that easy just to "relax" and quit "trying"! :). Thanks for sharing and being honest! It definitely helped me during the process.

Lauren Lashlee said...

Love that you are so honest and open. Thanks for sharing... and I total agree with Myth #1. How is it possible to relax...?? Oh wait, it's NOT! Still praying and BELIEVING! In Gods timing... : )