Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Whose Stuff is it?

This past weekend while I was in Little Rock we went to Fellowship bible church. I began going there in 6th grade and have always loved it. While I have been gone from Little Rock for 8 years now a lot has changed there. The location, the pastors, and a lot of the congregation.
Every time I go visit, I always get so inspired with the teachings. I feel like they are always bringing it and challenging all of West Little Rock, which is definitely a good and needed thing. This past Sunday, the message was on “Stuff”. I was thinking Oh no, why this message, this Sunday? I love my “stuff.” The funny thing was my parents just moved a few weekends ago. After 30 years of marriage and living in the same house longer than they normally do, they had accumulated some stuff (as we all would.) So the timing of this message really made us all laugh.  

On that note, they spoke about how there is a power attached to our suff that can sometimes take hold of our hearts. We begin to feel we are the owner instead of God, when in reality we are only the steward of what He has given us. They also said that Jesus spent more time teaching about stuff than any other subject in the world. Fun Fact:  There are currently 2300 verses about stuff.

When I think about it, my stuff is so important to me. I guard it, don’t always love to share it, and hoard it for the most part. Why is giving stuff away so hard? Marc is always so, so good about giving. I know he would give everything away if I would let him. In the sermon, they stated that extreme generosity begins to happen when we become stewards instead of owners.

LUKE 12:15  Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard
against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the
abundance of his possessions."

So for now, I’m going to to work on being a good steward, because really we can’t take a U-Haul to Heaven with us.

1 comments:

Lindsay @ Hattan Home said...

I adore you this! Cant stand clutter! What a wonderful post, I never thought about stuff and possessions from Jesus standpoint for our lives.
great post!