Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bad habits are Infectious

We all have them. For some it's biting nails, picking split ends, or maybe it's picking your cuticles. I would say my 3 terrible bad habits are picking my cuticles, picking my split ends, and the third is crinkling paper. (If you ever went to school with me you know what this is, if not well just be glad because it's super annoying)!

So my cuticles are always for the most part picked, you know red, bloody, scabbed over etc. You get the point. Well the other day I had picked both sides of my cuticle on one nail. So each side of was nasty. Side note- when they are really bad I pour hydrogen peroxide on them to prevent infection. It usually works well.
Well this weekend I was at the lake and because my nail was so messed up it got infected. Like real bad. I hadn't noticed for a couple of days and then tried to put my wedding rings on and couldn't get them on. This was the first time that ever happened and I knew there was a problem. I finally was able to get them off somehow. My finger was really swollen and red after that. It was definitely infected.
I debated on going to a walk in clinic but they were already closed since it was Sunday and thought I would wait it out till the next morning. It looked so much better.




Today it was a little better. As you can see some of the puffiness had gone down.






I treated it with hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, and my
Mother in law told me to mix baking soda and water together which makes a paste and sucks out infection apparently.

So the moral of this story is for me to quit picking my fingernails and kick this bad habit.


To be continued...
I will give you a hint. It involves the er.

0 comments: